Thursday, July 28, 2005

Pitching high in Hong Kong !

I vaguely remember the first time I done karaoke in my life was when I was 13, 14 years old ??! Didn't know much of the songs in the lounge's collection but I went because it was my friend's birthday. She was all hooked up with Sammy Cheng ( canton pop's queen ) by then. And every now and then, I still go karaoke back in M'sia but most of the time then not, it was an invitation rather than my own interest or initiative to go karaoke. Reason being was chinese and canton pop were never my cup of tea. And it's not because they don't have English songs ( well actually quite limited collection with petrifying and horrifying music videos ! ), but it's just all my karaoke-loving friends are no fan of English songs and I always ended up singing it by myself. A fact you have to know is that the trend-setter of karaoke is Hong Kong , which is good if you're harcore die-hard fan canton pop. The gist here is, KARAOKE is big in Hong Kong ! It's equivalent to the mahjong culture that embedded deep in the root of every Hong Kong people.

Well it's just not in the case in Europe and my European friends were agog with excitements to do karaoke. Well I'm as well, in this case, not the first-timer kind of excitement but rather the sheer thought of singing English songs with companies who enjoyed it excites me. I decided to take the group to this karaoke lounge recommended by Ricky and some local friends called Neway, 15 minutes walk from the student hall. The receptionist and the manager were delighted when they saw 20 patronizers came marching and taking over the reception hall of the lounge. I must admit this lounge has got some good marketing strategy for penetrating us ( or me since I'm the communicating point ) to take its package offered. After much chaos negotiation, we decided to take the 120HKD package which allow you to sing till wee hours 6am in the morning , with buffet dinner included , 2 free drinks and snacks!

To me, the highlight of my day has got to be the buffet dinner . I was jumping with joy like a kid when I saw the massive choice of food available. I was on top of the roof when I saw they served the fried rice wrapped with egg , exactly the "Nasi Pattaya" we have back home ! Sushi and deserts are just like icing topping the ice-cream. By this time I was drooling all over at the food ... couldn't wait any longer.

With good food to satisfy my appetite, the good songs feed my thirsty lust for music well. With people more than 8 nationalities gathering at the karaoke rooms ( Swedish, Danish, Swiss, Aussies, Greek, British, Finnish, Canadian, German, M'sian ), it was simply amazing to see us singing our lungs out at the common songs despite the differences of our own mother tongues. From oldies songs of Madonna, Bee Gees, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, U2 to cheesy songs of Britney Spears, Boyzone, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls and etc, it was sheerly a good blend of the golden oldies together with modern cheesy and boyband hits.

It was a voice-pitching night indeed and suffice to say, all of us ended up with sexy husky voice to greet each other "Good morning!" the next morning. :)



Food !!


Here's the imitaton of the ever-famous Hong Kong style of posing picture - PEACE "V" sign. It's funny for me to see Annie & Kian, the British, getting the hang of it as well.


Me & Johy


Big screen of the room if case you forget the lyrics.


Big comfy room :)


Marcos and Sofia

2 Comments:

Blogger Kian Sing Low said...

It was a great night. I still love the photo of you eatin and that pic you have with Johan is really cute (I think it helps you both having matching shirt colours :)). Thanks again for sortin it out.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the blog Grace and i hope that i will never sing another boyzone song ever again. fab night though

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home